Cooking Class Chronicles

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

Kaylee Haskell

Aside from vibrant music and beautiful fabrics, traditional meals are a vital component that add to the richness of Ghanaian culture. After a week of testing various local restaurants, the Global Navigators tried their hand at creating a local dish for dinner. We traveled to the home of Mrs. Vivienne Lomotey; one of CIEE's college homestay locations just 10 minutes from campus in the Haatso/North Legon neighborhood.

The first course created by the students was Etor. Etor is made from mashed yams or plantains, mixed with palm oil. This meal is sacred for both the Ga and Akan tribes- being served at birthdays, naming ceremonies, twin festivals and more. The next course was Gari Fortor; which is a simple meal made by mixing Gari (a flour derived from cassava) with a homemade tomato stew. 

After working hard as chefs for the night, the students served their main courses with avocados, hard-boiled eggs, salad, homemade ground pepper sauce and of course, delicious fried chicken. The Global Navigators returned home feeling successful with full bellies!

Yebehyia bio!

Kaylee 

Today's Twi phrase of the day is yenkodi which translates to let's go eat!

Photo for blog post Cooking Class Chronicles