Connections, Orientation, and Service Unveiled

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Rihane Zoubairi

Sunday marked the much-anticipated arrival of our Global Navigators in the country of Morocco, with Mohammedia as their host city. Embracing them with open arms, their homestay families eagerly awaited their arrival. Amidst the aroma of minty Moroccan tea and Moroccan cookies, the stage was set for a journey of leadership and service to unfold.

The first day of orientation set the tone for the transformative experience ahead. Diving into essential topics, our students delved into the academic aspects of the program, logistical details, daily schedules, and the expectations placed upon them. Health, safety, and security orientation ensured their well-being, equipping them with the tools to navigate their host city with confidence. With their minds abuzz, they ventured out for a nourishing lunch, ready to explore and familiarize themselves with the vibrant surroundings, guided by their local peers.

On the second day, an exciting adventure awaited as the students gathered for their very first survival Darija class. Immersed in the sounds of the Moroccan dialect, they eagerly absorbed expressions and sentences, empowering them to connect with the local community on a deeper level. Fuelled by a desire to embrace cultural understanding, they made their first step in a fascinating linguistic journey.

As the day progressed, the students' anticipation grew, for they were about to witness the heart of their service experience. A presentation unveiling the service site and the final projects that would shape their impact answered many of their questions. They, then, received their transportation and lunch stipends in Moroccan Dirhams and departed for lunch. Following lunch, a journey through the city led them to the service site, where they were warmly greeted by the service site members. Over cups of Moroccan tea and traditional pancakes, they embarked on meaningful conversations, conducting needs assessment interviews, and building connections with the service youth.

The opening days in Morocco have been filled with warmth, connection, and the excitement of new experiences. As our Global Navigators sip minty tea and savor Moroccan delicacies, they embark on a transformative journey. Armed with linguistic skills, cultural appreciation, and a sense of purpose, they embrace the opportunities that lie ahead. Stay tuned and follow their path unfold.