Cocina Mallorquína

Penelope de Leon

This week our global navigators spent the mornings with Chef Riccardo learning how to make typical Mallorquín dishes, tumbet and coca de trampó, as well as chocolate brownies (are these Mallorquin?) We split into small teams and each team had a lengthy recipe to follow step by step.

Coca de trampó is a very typical snack food in Mallorca. Trampó is a fresh summer salad made with onions, peppers, tomatoes and olive oil. Mix it all together and sprinkle it on top of a thin dough crust and we have coca de trampó. The salad iteslf is quite easy to make and popular in summertime, and put it on top of a crust and it's an easy snack.

For our second course, our students made tumbet. Tumbet is another traditional veggie based dish which consists of eggplant/aubergine, potatoes and red peppers. We pan fry all the veggies separately then layer the ingredients and cover it with a tomato based sauce. 

Finally for dessert we made chocolate brownies. Brownies are always a favorite and even better when made from scratch with lots of love. Our global navigators loved getting in the kitchen this week and Chef Riccardo was such a great sous chef teaching us traditional recipes of Mallorca that we can hopefully one day recreate for our families at home. Bon profit!