Cezanne: L'Atelier des Lumières!

Doreena Fox

Wow!  The students spent an amazing afternoon at the Atelier des Lumières immersed in the most spectular world of Cezanne's art which was displayed in lights all around them!  "Vivez une expérience unique, explorez des univers sans limites, laissez-vous porter au cœur de l’Art." (atelier-lumiere.com).  Just as the French quote suggests, our students experienced the work of two artists, Cezanne and Kandinsky, in a very unique way.  They navigated their art through a lighted, art filled universe without limits that led one directly to the heart of each artist's artwork!  Comme c'était beau!

The Atelier des Lumières was originally a steel factory known as the “Fonderie du Chemin-Vert."  This factory was owned by four generations of the Plichon family, flourishing in business for more than 100 years.  In 1929, the economic crisis caused the steel factory to close and, six years later in 1935, to be sold to the Martin family, the current owners.  Culturespaces, a private company managing historical monuments and museums, was looking for a place that could accommodate a digital art center presenting immersive art exhibitions.  After two years of research for a place that would both convey an identity and have vast spaces, the company decided on the Chemin-Vert Foundry in 2017 and opened it to the public on April 26, 2018.  The Atelier des Lumières is a must-see in Paris!