Castles & Kayaks & Hostels, Oh My!

Stephanie S.

Stumbling upon a castle. Seeing the European Parliament with my own eyes. Eating the better french fries than I could have imagined existing. This week, I’ve had more once-in-a-lifetime experiences than I could have dreamed of. My first few days in Belgium have left me filled with wonder, awe, and appreciation.

After meeting everyone in the airport, I could tell that we instantly clicked. All of us, though we come from extremely different backgrounds, became the best of friends much faster than I anticipated. We chat casually about pop culture and our favorite music artists, but can launch into in-depth discussions about the issues with our current policies around governmental surveillance and international privacy within just a few minutes.

I was also surprised by Brussels. Our hostel is located two blocks away from the main shopping street in Brussels, which means that we are two minutes away from restaurants, clothing stores, pharmacies, nail salons, or whatever else we may want. The streets are small enough that we already can navigate the city without the need for directions, which is super nice. Additionally, our rooms are super nice—mine has two floors, complete with a mini kitchen, bathroom, and balcony! My roommate and I appreciate having separate closets and separate bedrooms.

The streets are lined with little cafés that serve pastries and coffee. Almost every morning, we visit a new café to grab a treat for breakfast before class. Our classes are a lot of fun—they usually begin with a discussion and lead into more in-depth group projects or activities. The teacher—Katya—is incredibly knowledgable about the subjects she teaches us about, everything from the History of the European Union to Economic Governance. She is able to thoroughly answer even our most obscure questions and spends time with us outside of class, too, which helps build our personal relationships with her.

Outside of class, we’ve been having an incredible time exploring Belgium. This weekend, we took a short trip to Dinant, Belgium, where we embarked on an unforgettable kayaking adventure. Our blue kayaks contrasted the lush green trees that lined the calm river. Throughout our three-hour journey, we didn’t see another human or vehicle other than our classmates. Even those that had never kayaked before had fun splashing our way down the river.

At one point, a tree had fallen in front of us! A few of us got out of our boats and we worked together to push our kayaks over the log before we climbed back in and continued. About an hour later, we stumble upon one of the most beautiful chateaus I have ever seen! We pulled our kayaks onto a mini beach so we could climb up to a beautiful meadow and admire the gorgeous castle. The setting looked like the Sound of Music—the European countryside truly is stunning.

I’m honestly not sure how I got so lucky. This week has flown by. I’m having the time of my life learning more than I could have ever imagined while being surrounded by some of the coolest and most fun people I’ve ever met. I can’t wait for two more weeks out here in Brussels!

- Stephanie