Casa Milà, Flamenco, & Copper Painting workshop - final day

Spanish Language & Culture

Stephanie Humphrey

Today, each group got to do the 3rd activity of the week.  

Jacob & Stephanie's group went to the Pueblo español.  This is a site where you can find many artesans, explore cultural traditions and examples of iconic architecture of Spain.  We participated in a workshop to make a necklace out of enamel and copper.  Then, we walked around the village and admired replicas of buildings that are located throughout various cities and regions in Spain, for example Andalucia and Cataluǹa.  We also watched a video that showed images about some of the most important holidays (fiestas) in Spain, such as la Tomatina, los Sanfermines, and Semana Santa.  

Alicia and Spenser's group went to the Casa Milà.  They enjoyed learning about this masterpiece designed and built by Gaudí, also called La Pedrera. 

Amy and Gwen's group went to the flamenco dancing lesson.  They learned some steps of a flamenco dance and dressed up in traditional costumes.  

We have had a great week of cultural activities and learned a lot about Barcelona and Spanish culture.  Tomorrow is a holiday, the feast of San Juan.  Celebrations take place on the night of the 23rd and there are no classes tomorrow.