Can you see it,smell it, hear it, taste it and touch it? Rally 5 senses

Honors French Language & Culture

Sophie Cowley

The best way to learn something is to make a memorable impression. Today the students discovered the town of Rennes via their 5 senses. 

This week's theme in our HSSA program is all about Identity (level 2) and cultural encounters (Level 3). Every day the students have the opportunity to have meaningful converstaions with the locals and ask questions about the culture and history of Rennes.

The visit took place in the beautiful historic Rennes and the students started the tour at the "Place des Lices". They continued to the remparts of the town and learned about the "Portes Mordelaises" and how the city of Rennes was protected during the Middle ages. 

The next stop was in one of the most iconic street of Brittany "la Rue du Chapitre". The group learned about the traditional architecture style of the "Pans-de-Bois" houses.

As the day came to an end, the students finished their visit at the "Parlement de Bretagne" a government building that survived a ravaging fire more than 300 years ago.

One of the most delicious experiences of this "cultural encounter" was tasting a local pastry born in Rennes is 1999 called the "Parlementin".