Bon appétit!

Elaina Loyd

Bon appétit!

We’ve all heard or seen this very French expression before which means, “Enjoy your meal!” The joy of preparing and eating a meal abounds in France. Take a look around any local café and you will see locals enjoying a coffee or dessert at any time of day. They cherish the fresh ingredients available at their local marché. Our students have commented many times on how important dinnertime is in their host families. Some students have even asked to help make meals with their families. In short, eating  is très important!

Last Friday, our students got an up-close look at what goes into making the delicious French desserts that you can see in the many bakeries in France. The group went to a dessert class in the 11th arrondissement, or district, where they made chocolate and strawberry desserts. They had fun learning the differences in American and French cooking, such as having to weigh ingredients. All of the students were able to enjoy their hard work with a dégustation, or tasting, after the class.

Vocabulaire important:

Bon appétit- Enjoy your meal!

À table ! - Come to the table!

J’ai faim! - I’m hungry!

C’est delicieux! -It’s delicious!