Belgium: au naturel!

Sarah Gray

This weekend, Brussels-based global navigators trekked to the countryside to visit some of Belgium's natural wonders along the Lesse river in the Namur region of the country.

The first stop was kayaking on the Lesse  with Excursions DInant. In single boats, the students braved the gentle waters--though not without a few upsets, lost flip flops, and abandoned boats. The rowing was difficult work, but the CIEE crew acknowledged the value of the challenge. "It was character-building," they agreed, after a much-deserved lunch.

Following the physical challenge of rowing, the group headed to the Caves of Han, the largest cave network in Belgium, which boasts over 70 kilometers of interconnected chambers, around 3km of which are open to the public. This was a chilly transition from the water, as the caves maintain a consistent temperature of 55°.

The largest gallery in the cave system is known as La Salle du Dôme, measures an astonishing 490 ft across and, in the wetter months,  even has a large cave lake.

After the cave, the students had a laugh at the outdoor park area, playing at being early 20th century residents of the Han region. Can you tell who's who?

We finished the evening in Dinant, the edge of the Battle of the Bulge sites that the students visited the next day surrounding Bastogne. Dinant is on the Lesse River and offers pittoresque views, stunning rock formations, and a hilltop citadel.