Behind the Scenes: Documentary Filmmaking in Sevilla

Kenzie Y.

While it may seem like the students have been spending all their time dancing flamenco, eating tapas, and visitingthe city´s monuments, they have in fact been spending their evenings in class. For three hours each day, Violet, Lucy, Sophia and Elena join their professor, Carlos, at the CIEE palacio where they watch film clips, discuss theory and technique, and work on their projects. The girls also spend many hours of their free time editing their clips, picking out their best shots and filming for the next day. 

Each week´s projects have allowed the group to explore different corners of the city through different documentary techniques. The objectives of each assignment have led the girls to both tourist locations such as "Las Setas," an architectural marvel in the middle of the city, as well as local spots like a supermarket, mall, or cafe, where they have been able to observe and document everyday life. They have also had to find creative ways to connect with themselves and with others through interview and self-reflection projects. 

It has been truly special to watch this group create and learn, while bonding with each other and with Carlos, whose guidance, passion and knowledge of film are unparalleled. All photos by Carlos Pineda:

Photo for blog post Behind the Scenes: Documentary Filmmaking in Sevilla