A Beautiful Day in Carcassonne!

Brian Herman

Bonjour!

On Saturday, while half of our group went to rural Ariège for some fun outdoor adventures, the other half visited the beautiful city of Carcassonne. Located about fifty miles east of Toulouse, this ancient city was added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1997.

Our day started with a ninety-minute bus ride from Toulouse where we met Hélène, our tour guide, who gave us in-depth information about the walls, the fortifications, and the history of the city. She also provided a detailed look at the Basilique Saint-Nazaire-et-Saint-Celse de Carcassonne. The beautiful sunny skies over Carcassonne made the stained-glass windows in the basilica even more impressive. The students also had several hours to explore the city with their new friends, enjoy a French lunch, visit a haunted house attraction, the musée de l'inquisition, and the endless amount of shops Carcassonne has to offer. After free time, the entire group took a walking tour of the Château Comtal. The views from the towers were amazing.

After another short bus ride, we found ourselves back in La Ville Rose. It was a wonderful end to an exciting first week in France!