Barcelona's Unfinished Masterpiece

Spanish Language & Culture

Graham Cruise

This week in Spain, students are heading to one of Barcelona’s most charming enigmas: The still-incomplete Sagrada Familia Basilica. Designed by the city’s crown architect, Antoni Gaudí, construction began in 1882 and remains unfinished 140 years later.

La Sagrada Familia, still in progress

Funded by locals, the church has had a bumpy road to completion with periods of little funds, not to mention setbacks caused by the pandemic in recent years. Seeped in religious symbols, the church’s form makes unmistakable references to nature with idiosyncratic curves and plant-like columns that flourish throughout the interior. The innumerable stained glass windows are drenched in bright colors that bounce off the walls creating a Dr. Seuss-esque effect that leaves visitors in awe.

Photo for blog post Barcelona's Unfinished Masterpiece

Students enhanced their language comprehension skills by following a tour guide who explained in Spanish all the important nuances inside and out, and highlighted the less-obvious and hidden symbols secretly placed by the architect. Nothing was left unintentional by Gaudí and the students were able to experience the architect's vision on full display. Hopefully to be completed by 2026, students will surely be pining to return to see it in its complete form. Until then, they’ll carry memories and photographs of the building’s long and unfinished legacy.