Barcelona's Gothic Quarter

Spanish Language & Culture

Ethan Anderson

Barcelona's Gothic Quarter stands as a living testament to the city's vibrant past and enduring charm. Through its medieval streets, awe-inspiring architecture, and cultural vibrancy, this enchanting neighborhhood captivates visitors and invites them to embark on a journey through time. As you meander through its narrow alleys and soak in the atmostphere, you'll discover a fascinating blend of history, art, and modernity making the Gothic Quarter and indispensable part of Barcelona's cultural tapestry.

The CIEE students in the first week went on a scavenger hunt throughout the Gothic Quarter to learn about it's history and put their Spanish skills to the test. Each team was given a packet with a map with five checkpoints to find. At each checkpoint, the students had to work as a team to interpret the clues that were given to them completely in Spanish. 

Photo for blog post Barcelona's Gothic Quarter

In La Plaza del Rey, one team was able to quickly find the royal shield indicated here by one student as he tossed up his water bottle to show the rest of his team where the clue was.

At the end of the scavenger hunt each team had to learn about the Castells, or human towers, of Catalonia Spain. The last challenge was for each group to try to form their own Castell. It was interesting to watch how each team came up with their own creative method of creating their human tower.

One group utilized the bench located in the plaza.

Another group tried a more physical approach...

In the end, it was a good day. The students' team-building skills, their Spanish, and critical thinking skills were all put to the test. Many students enjoyed the Gothic Quarter so much that they made plans to come back and visit later in the week!