Au Marché, Au Marché...

Honors French Language & Culture

Caroline Hocutt

Tu peux, tu peux tout trouver! 

There is no experience equal to that of the French open air market, and in Rennes our students had the opportunity to see for themselves this Saturday! Strolling through the market, the students immersed themselves in the colors, the smells, the sounds, and the energy of the experience- a French tradition that, in Rennes,  dates back almost 400 years! With over 300 vendors at the Marché des Lices, our students were able to sample some of the best products that La Bretagne has to offer- be it fresh fruits and vegetables or caramel beurre salé. We were so proud to watch our students use their burgeoning language skills to interact with local vendors and make their selections, triumphantly walking away with their purchases in hand. From the market, students headed over to the Parc du Thabor to picnic with their new friends on the program and to pass an afternoon under the shade of the trees. The market experience is uniquely French, and our students embraced the colors and the chaos of the vendor stalls with the same fervor that they have been embracing the first week of our language intensive program- without fear, without hesitation, with an eagerness to enjoy the culture of la Bretagne, and with a healthy appetite for discovery (and also sometimes strawberries).