aMuséez-Vous: A student's choice museum activity

Eric Dadmun
Students discovered the surrealist work of Liliana Porter at Les Abattoirs, the fine art museum.

Our first museum, called Les Abattoirs, which translates to 'slaughterhouses' in French as it ws the site of the city's slaughterhouses in the 19th century, is now a fine arts museum. Students were led through the works of Liliana Porter and Tabata Rezairer through a CIEE-created audio guide and were able to show off what they learned with a quiz at the end.

Students did an archaeological dive into the history of Toulouse at the Saint-Raymond Museum.

Our next museum, the Saint-Raymond Museum, allowed students to travel back in time through Toulouse's history through various artifacts. Students were able to view artifacts from as far back as Roman times that have been found in dig sites in and around Toulouse.

Students tested their knowledge on everything related to fire including making fire, preventing fires in the home, and the impact of forest fires at Quai des Savoirs, the science museum.

Our third museum was titled "Quai des Savoirs" and features temporary exhibitions that focuses on one area of science in particular. This summer's theme? Fire. Students learned about the history of the making of fire as well as its uses. There were also exhibits that tested you on your knowledge of fire prevention and that allowed you to try your hand as a detective determining the source of a fire in an apartment.

Forest Fire presentation

There was also a gorgeous video that showed several infographics about the interactivity between forest fires and climate change.

Students learn about important Toulousains during the Resistance movement in WWII.

The fourth museum was the Resistance Museum where students learned about important figures who resisted the Nazi occupation in World War II. Toulouse was one of the main French cities that was never occupied by Germans.

Our final museum was the Castelet Saint-Michel where students got to learn about the 150 year history of the Saint-Michel prison and tour some parts of the old building.

After an afternoon of learning, students are now enjoying some free time either as they picnic along the Garonne or spend some quality time with their host families before they leave on their first weekend excursion tomorrow!