Akwaaba!

Leadership & Service in Children's Education

Asia Marchaman

We've arrived! 

On July 9th, 18 CIEE participants took the 10 hour trip to begin their 3-week leadership experience in Ghana. After being greeted by CIEE staff, the group of 18 took the short drive to their hostel to settle and to meet their new roommates. For dinner, the Navigators dined at local favorite Green Pepper Restaurant for Ghanaian staples topped with the famous Shito sauce! As the day ended, participants reflected on their first 24 hours in Accra, expressing feelings of anxiousness and optimism.

The beautiful Ghanaian sun ushered in a new, fresh day full of cultural learning and expression and discussion on program norms and expectations. After formal introductions from CIEE staff, 20 participants engaged in a talk about the local culture including the more than 80 different languages, basic greetings, and traditions of the Akan people. For lunch, Naviagtors ate some more traditional foods including ground nut soup (peanut soup) with rice balls and chicken with Red Red (bean sauce with ripe fried plantains). The second half of the day centered on rhythm and movement as the group learned traditional dancing and songs with a University of Ghana professor.

After the Welcome dinner at Delish, the group returned to their rooms to await the arrival of first service site meeting at day at the Future Leaders School.

Me daa si!

P.S.

For each of our blog posts, we encourage you to learn with our students by learning a chosen Twi word of the day! Today’s Twi word of the day is Me daa si, which means thank you.