An Afternoon at the Kirchner Cultural Centre

Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture

Diana Castillo

This week on a rainy Wednesday afternoon the students visited the Centro Cultural Kirchner, the largest cultural centre of Latin America. The students perused the various art exhibits and talked to staff and other visitors to complete their Misión Ñ, a daily class assignment in which they practice asking questions and conversing with locals. Some of them were able to chat with elementary school children who were on a field trip to the centre and were estatic to speak with American students! The center of the neoclassical building holds a large glass structure that acts as a giant lamp, under which the students had a great time playing "walking freeze tag" and attemping to take the perfect panoramic photo. The cultural center currently has an exhibition on the life of Astor Piazzolla, a revolutionary Argentine tango musician and composer. Piazzolla is revered for incorporating elements of jazz and classical into tango music, thus creating a new version of the genre. The students were able to enter an immersive exhibit, which was inspired by the music and life story of Piazzola. Here is a look into the experience!