African Dance Workshop

Arabic Language & Moroccan Culture

Kaylee Steck

Fondation Orient-Occident is a Moroccan non-profit organization that supports both disadvantaged Moroccans and non-Moroccans, including migrants and refugees. The students visited the Fondation today and met a local artist, who also happens to be a political refugee from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. 

Didier, who left his country several years ago due to political persecution, taught the students a dance that is inspired by his harsh journey from his home to Morocco. Didier taught one move at a time until the students learned the whole combination, which they rehearsed with a live drummer. At the end of the combination, the students formed a circle to try out some free-style moves!

In recent years, Morocco regularized many migrants and Moroccan civil society has raised a lot of awareness about the plight of migrants and refugees. Fondation Orient-Occident is one of the organizations that promotes intercultural encouter and dialogue to help manage social conflicts and facilitate the integration of migrants and refugees into society.