Adventure to Chefchaouen

French Language & Culture

Ami Hauser

For one of first adventures,  our Outdoor leadership group took off towards the north to see another part of Morocco.  We went to the mountain town of Chefchaouen, also known as the blue city!  Here, the medina is full of winding cobblestone streets full of friendly locals who warmly welcomed us!  The buildings, walls and doors are painted beautiful shades of blue which create a sense of tranquility and warmth. 

Thursday our group went on a hike to God's bridge which is a little outside of the city. Along the way, students were encouraged to start seeing these new  landscapes and the environment from a différent lens.  Friday morning we stayed in town and went to a carpet weaving workshop where students actively participated in an artisan craft that have been passed down from generation to generation.

Chefchaouen – or Chaouen, as it is often called by Moroccans – is a popular destination because of its proximity to Tangier and the Spanish enclave of Ceuta.

Chefchaouen also offers many native handicrafts that are not available elsewhere in Morocco, such as wool garments and woven blankets. They also produce goat cheese native to the area. 

Chefchaouen's blue walls are a popular subject of interest. There are several theories as to why the walls were painted blue. One popular theory is that the blue keeps mosquitos away. The blue is said to symbolize the sky and heaven, and serve as a reminder to lead a spiritual life.  However, according to some locals, the walls were mandated to be painted blue simply to attract tourists at some point in the 1970s.  Whatever the reason, the different shades make for a beautiful visit and lots of great photos!