Adventure in the Atlas Mountains: by Rachel M.

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Nina Wineburgh
On Saturday morning we ventured to the mountain valley of Ourika!  We started the day with a group breakfast at the Riad in Marrakech, then we drove about an hour out to Ourika.  Along the way we stopped at a little place on the side of the road too see some camels.  We got to try on Moroccan dresses and scarves and ride around on the camels for a bit.  Although riding a camel is the stereotypical “I went to Morocco” adventure, that was only the beginning of our adventurous day.

We kept driving until we arrived at the beautiful village of Ourika in the Atlas Mountains.  We had tea time (A day is not complete without mint tea in Morocco!) and then started our hike. Although the hike was rocky and difficult, it was worth it for the amazing views we saw of the mountains and villages.  Once we came back down, we had Tajine for lunch together.  We swam in and lounged around the pool for a little before heading back to Marrakech.

We made one more stop for the day at a female-run Argan oil shop. We got to witness how Argan oil is made, try out some products, and shop a little!  Everyone bought a lot for family and friends, and we were all happy to support a female-run business!  Sadly we had to leave the smells of the shop and the mountains of Ourika and come back to Marrakech. Once we arrived we had some free time in the city to complete our full but amazing day!

- Rachel M.