Adding River Dancing to Our Repertoire

Global Entrepreneurship

Today's post is a guest post written entirely by one of our global entrepreneurs, Janet Akselrud.  Janet is a recent high school graduate from Brooklyn, New York, and this is her third summer spent on a CIEE trip!  In the fall, she will attend the Macaulay Honors College at the College of Staten Island.

Here is Janet's reflection on today's activities in Dublin:

"After a quick wake-up drill, our day began in the classroom with a comparison of Starbucks vs. Dunkin' in terms of branding their coffee shops.  A full fledged discussion evolved from merely the differences within the stores in each of the states we live.

For lunch, we visited the Mongolian Barbeque in Temple Bar.  Everyone loved it!  We walked around a buffet filling a bowl of food that would be cooked for each of us in front of our faces! 

This led to free time to explore for a bit and was followed by our next site visit: Container Coffee Company.  The company's owner brought us free brownies as we listened to his story.  It was a super engaging talk and most of our time was spent asking follow-up questions.

We got caught in the Ireland rain, but no rain was going to stop us from getting to our Irish Dance Party.  We watched professional Irish dancers perform and sang along to the live music of a guitar, flute, and bagpipes.  We became river dancers ourselves, learning to skip and dance three of our own dances.  We clapped and stomped and danced with partners to booming music.  It was an all around great time letting loose and getting exercise.

Delighted and exhausted, we took the Luas train and got back to our dorms ready to plop into bed."