59 Rue de Rivoli : Art everywhere!!!

Rebecca Ebling

Yesterday, students spent some quality time talking with locals about art and seeing one of the more unique art galleries of Paris. Level 3 students went to a small neighborhood close to the center to see some local galleries that were on display. Because of French Fashion Week (June 19th-24th for Men's Fashion Week in Paris), many galleries were packing up their work to rent out their space to fashion designers in town for the show. However, students did visit the galleries that were open with art on display to ask about their training, art, and lives! Many galleries then gave out postcards with their artwork on it. Keep your eyes out in the mail!

Photo for blog post 59 Rue de Rivoli : Art everywhere!!!

For some live footage (thanks, Jasmine!) check out this video clip here!

Afterwards, we went to the 59 Rivoli, an old squatters house which upcoming artists took over in the late 90s to display their work. Entrance is free to the public, and many artists sell their work on the spot if the price is right!

Many students bought artwork from Francisco, a man who would paint with bright colors and made calligraphic representations of the students. Check out Caleb below with his one-of-a-kind purchase!

Some kids also checked out St. Eustache, a gothic-style church built in the 16th century. Check out a few of the girls admiring the beautiful artwork inside!

Today we’re off to a graffiti workshop and tour in Paris. Stay tuned!