300+ stairs: Montmartre, Place du Tertre, and Sacré Coeur!

Rebecca Ebling

Montmartre, in the 18th arrondissement of Paris, used to be outside of what is considered to be the city limits of Paris today. It wasn't until 1860 (which is relatively new considering Europe/ France's long history!) that Montmartre was officially annexed to be part of Paris. Montmartre has been the home to many famous French and traveling artists, including Picasso, Renoir, and Toulouse-Lautrec. Even Langston Hughes spent some time during his life in Montmartre!

Photo for blog post 300+ stairs: Montmartre, Place du Tertre, and Sacré Coeur!

In Montmartre, there are lots of sights to see! Notably, there is the Sacré Coeur, a famous church that sits ontop of the hill. At the top of this church, you have a beautiful view of the city. Below the church steps, there are often musicians and artists who entertain as you look out over a view of Paris!

Place du Tertre has many artists selling their work. One of the artists invited the students to come see what he was painting and the methods he was using to bring his artwork to life. There were lots of beautiful depections of Paris, which are especially loved by the tourists visiting!

Before heading up the hill, we also checked out the "Mur des je t'aime" (The I love you Wall) where over 250 different languages are displayed in tile writing those three special words! This was a perfect time for a group photo!