15 Foods You Must Try In Singapore!

Global Entrepreneurship

Madeline Chaffinch

One of the best parts about travel is being able to experience new cultures through food. Our students have been enjoying a wide variety of Asian cuisines around Singapore, and we want to share 15 foods and drinks that you must try when visiting! 

One of the best places to try local foods is in Hawker Centers, which are scattered across Singapore. These centers are open air food courts with a variety of food stalls where you can grab a quick meal after class. As a student, these are also more cost efficient places to eat as they are much cheaper than some of the restaurants. If you visit a Hawker Center, don't forget to bring along a non-important personal item, such as a tissue packet or business card to "chope." This is a practice that allows you to place the item down on an open table before ordering, as Hawker Centers are very busy and can be diffucult to find seating. 

Once you grab your table, these are the 15 things you can't miss according to our students. Be sure to scroll through the pictures above to see what these foods look like! 

1. Chili crab: This is commonly refered to as Singapore's National Seafood Dish. The crab is covered in a thick chili sauce. Our students enjoyed learning the best way to eat chili crab and wore gloves to keep their hands clean. 

2. Hainanese Chicken Rice: Similar to the chili crab, chicken rice is known as Singapore's national food. This version contains poached chicken and served with a chili sauce.

3. Beef satay: This dish consists of pieces of meat grilled on a skewer and was served with a sweet peanut sauce.

4. Laksa: Laksa is a spicy noodle dish with your choice of protein on top. It is typically prepared with a coconut broth which makes this dish packed with flavors!

5. Veggie mix: For the vegetarians in the group, there is a wide variety of veggie dishes, making it easy to follow your dietary restrictions. One of our favorites is a tasty mix of rice, tofu, cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage. 

6. Chicken dumplings: Dumplings typically consist of a dough wrapped around a filling. If you aren't a fan of chicken, you can often find other flavors such as a variety of meats, veggies, and even sweet dessert dumplings. 

7. Hotpot: If you want a food experience that's great to share with friends, try out Hotpot. This is a hot broth where you can cook your own meat, vegetables, and noodles, making it an interactive and tasty outing! Our students enjoyed the ramen and beef with a variety of vegetables to go along with it.

8. Mee Soto: This is a spicy dish that consists of noodles and soup, and is found in Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia.

9. Unagi: Unagi is a sweet and savory Japanese dish made from eel. Our students enjoyed trying it with rice and a soft boiled egg on top!

10. Nasi Ayam Penyet: This dish is smashed chicken served with rice, soup, and sambal which is a chili sauce. 

11. Pepperlunch: If you are looking for a specific restaurant to try, check out the popular chain Pepperlunch! Our students enjoyed a mix of pepper rice, onion, corn, beef, and soy sauce which is served on a hot plate that cooks everything together when you stir it.

12. Shakeshake: Luckily, Singapore has a variety of foods from all different cultures, so when students are looking for a taste of home, a visit to Shakeshack for some burgers and fries is always a great option. 

13. Sugar Cane Juice: In addition to food, we have loved trying out the fun drinks you can find all over Singapore! Our local program leader recommended us Sugar Cane Juice with lemon, which isn't as sweet as the name suggests, but a refreshing drink to help you beat the humidity. 

14. Heaven and Earth Lemon Tea: If you're looking for a quick drink to grab from a vending machine or convenience store, we recommend the Heaven and Earth Lemon Tea! 

15. Kaya Waffle: If you like to round out your meal with something sweet and affordable, try a Kaya Waffle. Kaya is a creamy spread made with coconut cream, eggs, sugar, and pandan leaves.