Our Commitment to Program Diversity

Work Exchanges

CIEE is committed to providing camps with diverse participants who have the skills and experience necessary to contribute positively to your community. This summer, we sponsored participants from 52 different countries. This includes first ever placements from Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, The Philippines, Costa Rica, and Lesotho. Maintaining a diverse pool of candidates is an integral part of our program and we pledge to continue seeking new markets to ensure access to educational and cultural exchange for all.

Camp Exchange USA Global Outreach Map as of April 2017.

Agent Forum Recap

This September, CIEE hosted our annual Agent Forum for Work Exchange Programs at our global headquarters in Portland, Maine. Representatives from over 50 partner agencies from across the globe joined CIEE staff for three days of meetings, presentations, and fun to kick off the 2018 work exchange season. The Camp Exchange team loved sharing our insights about the magic that is summer camp. We also loved sharing expertise about the placement and application process, as well as hosting the camp Q&A towards the end of the forum. We look forward to working with everyone who attended! In the meantime, check out some photos below!

amp Placement Coordinator Tyler Brookings (far left) lunches with Temitope Bada and Elizabeth Bada from Besor Associates (based in Nigeria).

Manager of Camp Relations Ryan Pelletier (left) and Adam Janaway (right) from BUNAC (based in the UK) take a ferry ride to Peak’s Island, off the coast of Maine.

Placement Coordinator Julia Elliott (3rd from right) runs a breakaway session explaining camp types. She is joined by representatives from New Zealand, Argentina, South Africa, Thailand, Costa Rica, Jordan, the UK, and Jamaica.

Share Your Summer Photos and Stories With Us!

At CIEE, we have seen firsthand the powerful and transformational experiences your camp provides to our participants. Our ability to share photos and stories about these experiences with a larger audience, including the U.S. Department of State, is instrumental in both documenting the impact of our program and advocating for its continuance.

What is your favorite activity at camp? Which CIEE counselor will you miss the most? Where is the best view at camp? Share your Camp Exchange USA experiences by tagging us in your social posts! Find us online at Instagram (@ciee_camp) or Facebook (@campexchangeusa). We’ll even share our favorite posts on our social pages!

Camps Join CIEE’s Annual Employer Forum in D.C.

Four summer camps joined many of CIEE’s Summer Work & Travel employers at our 16th annual Employer Forum in early October. Michelle Gottlieb, Camping Department Manager at the Fresh Air Fund (NY), Jeff Gleason, CEO/Director of the YMCA of Maine (ME), Eugene Bell, Senior Director at Summit Camp (PA), and Scott Brody, Owner/Director of Camps Kenwood +Evergreen attended a congressional learning session hosted by Senator Angus King (ME). Scott is also the chair of Government Affair Committees for the American Camp Association and was the panelist that represented camps during the session. Michelle, Jeff, Eugene, and Scott also visited the offices of their state representatives to advocate for the J-1 program.

We are staying strong in our push for advocacy efforts to #savej1 and to ensure cultural exchange for all! Keep an eye on your inbox for future updates and ways to get involved!