BAFF Alum Virginijus Sinkevicius Elected to Lithuanian Parliament

Work Exchanges

Former Baltic American Freedom Foundation intern, Virginijus Sinkevicius, has won a seat in the 2nd round of Lithuanian Parliament elections as MP for his personal constituency in Vilnius's Seskine district. He defeated his running mate, Audronius Azubalis, Conservative Party member and former Minister of Foreign Affairs, in a landslide victory. Virginijus ran as the 26th member on the list of the Lithuanian Peasant and Green Party for a seat in both Parliament and his personal constituency in Vilnius. Virginijus is the second youngest member of this newly elected Parliament and currently heads the Regulatory Affairs Team of the Project Management Department at “Invest Lithuania”.
Virginijus is a graduate from Aberystwyth University, UK with a diploma in Bachelor of Economic, Social and Political Studies, as well as from Maastricht University, Holland, with a Master's in European Studies. He has also interned at the office of the Prime Minister of Lithuania in the Regional and Ethnic Issues Unit.

As a participant of the BAFF Professional Internship Program, Virginijus enjoyed his training period at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA) from 2013-2014. During his year in the U.S., Virginijus became an active member of the Lithuanian-American community, and taught children at the Lithuanian Saturday School in Washington, D.C. He writes, “I am thankful to BAFF for the unique opportunity provided. I had an extremely positive experience in the United States capital Washington DC, which taught me exceptional lessons, boosted my self-confidence, and encouraged me to reach the highest goals in life. I am grateful that the people of Lithuania evaluated my experience and gave me a chance to serve them.”

During his time in the U.S. Virginijus was a frequent contributor to the BAFF blog, which you can read here. Congratulations, Virginijus!