Information for term Teach In Spain Immersion + 4 Weeks Of Spanish
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineMay 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Program Fee: $4,100
- Compensation: 1,000 Euro (approx. $1,150)/month
OverviewClick to Open
Whether you’re a beginning Spanish learner or an advanced speaker, immerse yourself in Spanish culture by spending four weeks with a local host family and taking Spanish classes before you start your teaching placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid.
Benefits of the Teach in Spain Immersion program include:
- Boosting your Spanish skills with four weeks of intensive Spanish classes that focus on practical conversations you will use during your year in Spain. Classes meet three hours each day (Monday - Friday) and are taught entirely in Spanish for a fully immersive experience.
- Participating in language exchange sessions with Spaniards.
- Experiencing life as a local while living with a Spanish host family who you can practice speaking Spanish with. Each family is unique - ranging from single host mothers to families with children - and will give you perspective into Spain’s diverse society.
- Classes and host families are located in the city, giving you the opportunity to find permanent housing while living with your host family. You will also arrive in August, ahead of the busiest time for apartment hunting in Madrid.
In early October you will start your position as a Language and Culture Assistant, helping Spanish students develop their listening and conversational English skills. Most teachers spend 16 hours a week in the classroom and usually have three-day weekends with Monday or Friday off. With your monthly 1,000 Euro stipend and long weekends, you can enjoy Spain’s cultural and historic treasures.
- Teach 16-hours per week
- 4-day work week with three day weekends!
- €1000 monthly stipend
- 24/7 support from CIEE staff in Spain
- Four weeks homestay and language immersion courses
- No Spanish language requirement
- Placement within the Community of Madrid
Add a 150-Hour CIEE TEFL Certification For $1,000 ($1,100 Value) Apply Now
|Location||Start Date||End Date||Compensation||Deadline|
|Madrid||mid-August||Late June||1,000 Euro (approx. $1,150)/month||
About Our Program Fees
CIEE, a non-profit organization, has been sending university graduates abroad to teach English since 1997. Our Immersion program in Spain includes orientation on arrival, an initial homestay, Spanish classes, and a high level of support throughout your experience (see all features below).
To cover those costs, there is a program fee of $4,100. Once we accept your application, you’ll make a first payment of $500 to reserve your spot ($1,000 for programs with TEFL). The remaining balance of the program fee is due a few months later when you receive a teaching placement at a Spanish school. CIEE alumni receive a 10% discount!
What's includedClick to Open
- Placement as a Language and Culture Assistant in the region of Madrid
- Pre-departure assistance – including visa guidance
- iNext international insurance with 24-hour emergency assistance
- Ongoing support from CIEE staff in Madrid
- Airport pickup and transportation to your orientation hotel on arrival day
- Four days of orientation in Madrid with topics including housing, banking, residency, health & safety, and more
- Cultural activities during orientation, such as a flamenco show and sampling cuisine from different regions of Spain
- Four week homestay with a local Spanish family - breakfast and dinner included
- Four weeks of language immersion courses
The DestinationClick to Open
Madrid is the heart of Spain. The capital city sits at the center of the Iberian Peninsula, and it’s known to set national trends. More than a rich cultural heritage site boasting world-renowned art museums, Madrid is a lively, artistic metropolis with a variety of food, tapas bars, dance shows, opera, concerts, parks, jazz clubs, soccer matches, ethnic neighborhoods, and contemporary theater and cinema performances – all ready for you to explore.
Monthly stipend of €1,000
Job placement, pre-departure assistance, an online pre-departure course, 4-day in-country orientation, intensive language classes, cultural activities
Temporary stay with host family, visa application guidance, iNext international insurance, 24-hour support from CIEE staff, resources for finding housing.
Program BlogsClick to Open
Job DescriptionClick to Open
You'll work as an English Language and Culture Assistant at a public school in the region of Madrid, a role that is part of a nationwide initiative. As a native English speaker, you will be assisting classes or small groups of students in order to develop their listening and conversational skills, as well as their understanding of North American culture. In many schools, you'll also teach English to members of the school staff. If you are placed in a bilingual school you may facilitate English conversational activities in subjects such as science, art, and history.
Exact responsibilities of Language and Culture Assistants vary according to each individual school. However, you won’t be left alone with an entire class of students, nor will you be responsible for grading, discipline, or the independent supervision of students.
CIEE Language and Culture Assistants in Madrid work from October to June and receive a monthly stipend of 1,000 Euro (approx. $1,150). For most participants, this is adequate to afford a comfortable lifestyle. If you’re careful with spending, you’ll have some money for fun and to explore Spain and other European countries. Your income will go further outside of city centers where the cost of shared accommodations, food, transportation, entertainment, etc., are lower. We will provide you with advice on how to find an affordable apartment and how to best plan your budget each month.
Most program participants also teach private English classes, either through their school or independently. CIEE can help here, too, with advice on how to advertise and find private lessons when you get to Spain.
CIEE participants have paid holidays around Christmas and Easter. Exact dates will be confirmed when the school calendars are approved in September. There is usually a two week break around Christmas. Participants also have Holy Week off, which is the week before Easter. Official provincial calendars are available in September.
The schools where you’ll teach participate in an ongoing bilingual initiative led by the Spanish government. The 2014-2015 school year marked the 10th year of this successful program, which pairs native English-speaking teachers with local faculty. Location and age group preferences are considered by CIEE, but we are not able to guarantee specific placement preferences.
All Language and Culture Assistants work with local classroom teachers in public schools within the region of Madrid. You will lead conversational activities in English and give presentations on North American culture. You may also participate in other activities, such as music, theater, sporting events, English language clubs, and more. In addition to your 16 classroom hours, you may be required to spend a few hours attending planning or professional development sessions each week. You’ll still have ample time to take part in activities that further enrich your experience, such as finding an internship with a local business, volunteering for a local charity, or teaching private English lessons.
What People are Saying
CIEE was very helpful the from start to finish and provided me with so much advice and knowledge I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.Brooklyn P. | Teach in Spain
I have been very impressed by the high quality level of support that CIEE has given me at every step through the process. I feel like everyone at CIEE truly cares that we all have a great experience.Camille S. | Teach in Spain
There is a ton of support during the visa process and when you get settled in Spain. There are health systems and paperwork to navigate and we had a bunch of help!Clayton D. | Teach in Spain
The program offers an excellent amount of support and guidance that makes moving to a new country easy for even a first time traveler.Caroline F. | Teach in Spain
CIEE was very helpful in setting up all appointments and guaranteeing a placement with your priorities taken into consideration .Cassandra S. | Teach in Spain
QualificationsClick to Open
TEFL CertificationClick to Open
Our TeamClick to Open
Ready to change your life?
You might also like
Teach In Spain Basics
Teach In Spain Immersion + 2 Weeks Of Spanish
Teach In Spain