Tips For Teaching

Teach In China Program

Travis C.

We are in our 7th week now teaching. I am still learning so much every single day. Previously coming to China, I taught some music lessons here and there. This is was I am familiar with. I am a musician. I can say it is much easier teaching one on one to a student about how to play the guitar than teaching 30 kids English. With that being said, teaching English is so much fun. Again, I am still learning every day about new ways to approach the classroom. I want to share some of these discoveries with you!

First, you cannot always expect your teaching plan to work perfectly. You have to make yourself flexible.. Sometimes your plan can go completely opposite of the way you imagined it. You have to just go with the flow and adapt to your students. How are they feeling? Are they responding to your lesson? If not, try changing your teaching method. Some classes are different. Every student does not learn the same, so I recommend you study your student's behavior. Second, improvisation might knock at your door sometimes. Your class may end a little early and you don't know what to do. Think about your lesson and try to tie a filler exercise to practice. I have had to improvise a good bit this semester. I learned very quickly to think on my feet. Lastly, I want to stress to always have fun and smile. Your students will always feed off your energy. This will keep your classroom happy and comfortable for your students. I think it is very important because remember that you are here for them.. You are here to give them an opportunity to open more doors in their lives.

I have learned a lot teaching in China, and I hope these tips can help you when you start your careers abroad.