Teach Abroad in Thailand: The Time is Now

Claudia M.

I’m a millennial through and through. Avocado toast and acai bowls are my love language. Paying $30 for a spinning class? Sounds reasonable to me, let me grab my shoes.

Part of my millenial condition is the FOMO (fear of missing out) affliction. While I had grown up hearing about my mom’s life-changing studying abroad experience when it came to my own college years,  I couldn’t bear to miss a second. After completing a graduate program and three years teaching elementary school first time I was hungry for an adventure. I loved my job, my life, and my responsibilities but I wasn’t ready to settle into the routine for the next 35 years.

I saw on Instagram (I told you I’m a millennial) that Thailand was becoming a very popular place to travel. I found a bargain of a round trip and spent my spring break exploring a country I knew nothing about. I loved it! Everywhere I went I met foreign teachers who raved about their experience and the opportunities teaching abroad was providing them.

Suddenly my FOMO of brewery Saturdays, gamedays, and music festivals was nothing compared to the FOMO I felt I would have if I didn’t seize the opportunity of teaching English abroad.

I now teach 7th grade in Khon Kaen, Thailand. There are definitely days when I just want to wake up, drive my car to Target, and eat some flax seed creation but I can say without hesitation I have no regrets about my decision to teach abroad. I am growing, learning, traveling, and thriving more than I could have imagined.

I previously viewed my year abroad as hitting the pause button on my life because I was young, single, and could afford to do so. I now realize this isn’t pausing my life, this is adding to my life. I am becoming a better educator, person, and global citizen.