Ready...Set...Visa Process

Juan Michael W.

Being fully transparent, I kept going back-n-forth with how I wanted to present my very first post. I knew I wanted to get into the thick of the application process, my goals, my reasons for applying, how self-doubt and imposter sydrome almost tricked me out of this amazing oppurtunity, but for now I'll introduce myself and share a little life update as I prepare for Madrid.

My name is Juan Michael Watkins (he/him/his), I am 25 years old,  and I am excited for you all to join me on this incredible journey. Over the last 4 years, I've lived in three different US cities and have learned a new thing about myself in each location. I can't wait to cultivate a safe space with you all to share the highs and lows as I navigate life as an American teaching and learning in Spain.

So... today is Wednesday, August 3rd, 2022. For some, it may have been a normal day filled with day-to-day tasks and responsibilites; however, for me and many others waiting on visa processing it felt like a never ending day of refreshing emails and monotoring postal tracking numbers. Two days ago, I officially moved back to Louisiana from Portland, OR to spend the next couple of weeks with family before the big move. While I am confident in my decision to embark on this new journey, I am a bit anxious about my Visa being approved in time. I mean... yes, I know that many people have been in this same position and have felt these same feelings but that doesn't take away the stress completely...it does help a little though. Despite the minor setbacks I've encountered, I am trusting the process and remaining optimistic. Hopefully...on September 12th when I'm in Madrid at oreintation with my passport and visa in hand, I can look back at this and chuckle a bit...until then we keep it pushing. 

On a lighter note, I am looking forward to dumping all my feelings, findings, and realizations here. I've always enjoyed journaling/creative writing because both are great outlets to release all that goes on in this head of mine. I hope this post finds you in good spirits and that if you are in the same boat as me you find comfort in knowing that we are in this together. Until next time...

- xoxo, JM