Gluten and Dairy-Free Guide to School Day Meals

Skyler B.
Here is what I usually eat on a school day as a gluten and dairy-intolerant girlie living in Madrid (where cheese and bread are a core food group).

First of all, Spanish gluten is built differently than American gluten. For me, it’s less inflammatory and doesn’t make me bloated. When traveling internationally, I’ve found that the closer you get to Italy, the better the gluten quality. Still, though, I limit my encounters with it because my body is used to being a gluten-free environment. The lactose is still a no-go, but I’ve found lots of dairy-free food options here.

My School Day in Meals:

Breakfast: During my commute, between 8:15 and 9 AM

A big apple & if I’m still hungry a Nakd bar or some almonds

Alternative: corn cake sammy (rice cake alternative) with almond butter and banana

apple and nakd bar
Breaktime Snack: 11:15-11:45 AM

Carrots, cucumbers, hummus with salt and pepper, Black Tea for caffeine to keep up with the kiddos

Alternative: apple slices with almond butter

carrots and hummus

Note:

Every school provides some variation of a snack during the break. From what I’ve heard, elementary schools provide complimentary snacks but high schools require monetary compensation. However, high schools usually offer more high-quality options.

My elementary school usually provides slices of bread with meat like ham, sardines, and pepperoni along with different fruits like apples and oranges. They also have coffee, tea, and juice.

I bring my own snack because I’ve found it keeps me full longer than the little sammies they provide. I use a small lunch box with built-in ice packs because there isn’t a faculty refrigerator.

lunchbox cooler
Commute-Home Snack: Sometime between 2 and 3 PM

Nakd bar or almonds to tide me over

almonds
Lunch: Around 4 PM

After school, I try to make something easy or have leftovers like pasta or a wrap. One of my favorite things to make for lunch is a gluten-free wrap with hummus, grilled chicken, lemon, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Dinner: Ideally by 8 PM

I usually have time to make something like chicken and veggies, gluten-free pasta, or breakfast for dinner. I try to make enough to have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.

I’ve really enjoyed experimenting with cooking here! Because of limited monetary resources, I try to make my groceries last and only buy food when I need it. This has made me think outside the box and create new dishes like veggies and pasta topped with an egg, a corn cake with avocado and an egg, or bolognese sauce with veggies. Cooking here has been a fun way to spend my time and has deepened my food enjoyment. And, taking time to pack a healthy snack for school has been a fulfilling form of self-care. I definitely recommend it.

Examples of my after-school meals:
3 after school meals