A Day in the Life of an Auxiliar de Conversación in Madrid

Teach In Spain Program + 4 Weeks of Spanish Immersion

Katie M.

Curious what day-to-day life looks like teaching in Spain? Well, in this post I'm going to walk you through what a typical Monday looks like for me as an auxiliar de conversación in Madrid. For context, I work at a bilingual primary school in Mirasierra, in the northern part of the city. I teach English, Social Science and Natural Science in the first, second and third grades. Now let's get into it!

Typical Monday Schedule

7:20 AM- Wake up and get ready for the day.

8:05 AM- Leave for school. My commute is about fifty minutes long so I get to school around 8:55 every day.

9:00 AM - 12:30 AM- Morning lessons. At my school, there are four class periods, each forty-five minutes long, plus a thirty-minute coffee break between the third and fourth class.

12:30 - 2:30 PM- Midday break. I usually stay at school and work on anything I need to (like blogging, for example), study Spanish and/or read. Sometimes I run errands nearby or go for a walk. I also bring my own lunch and eat it at some point over this time.

2:30 - 4:00 PM- Afternoon lessons. Two more class periods, forty-five minutes long each.

4:15 - 6:15 PM- Private English lessons. I do lessons every Monday afternoon with two siblings who go to my school. I walk to their house after school and do an hour-long lesson with each of them. (Again, I highly recommend doing private lessons to earn extra money!!).

6:20 - 7:10 PM- Commute home. I usually read my Spanish book.

7:15 - 9:00 PM- Nightly routines. Eat dinner, take a shower, prepare food for the next day, etc.

9:00 - 10:15 PM- Time to relax. Watch a TV show or movie, talk to people back home, etc.

10:15 - 10:45 PM- Read for about thirty minutes before bed.

10:45 PM- Go to bed.

Now you should have a better idea of what daily life looks like as an auxiliar de conversación in Madrid. Keep in mind, though, that schedules vary from school to school and that this is just an example of what one looks like. No matter what, however, you will have plenty of free time to experience Madrid, travel and/or pursue whatever else you want to!