4 Invaluable Items to Bring With You or Buy in Spain

Teach In Spain Program + 4 Weeks of Spanish Immersion

Katie M.

In some ways, life in Madrid is going to be very different from what you're used to in the United States. Certain things that might seem unnecessary in the US will come in handy in Spain. I've been living in Madrid for the past six months and I've identified four invaluable items that I recommend either bringing with you to Spain or buying once you arrive. None of these items are essential, but I promise they will make your life a little bit easier.

Item #1: Portable Charger

If you already have a portable charger, bring it with you, and if you don't, buy one soon after arriving. When you first get to Madrid and don't know your way around yet, you'll likely be using your phone a lot to navigate, which drains the battery pretty quickly. The same goes for traveling. Get a portable charger so you don't have to worry about getting lost in an unfamiliar city because your phone is dead.

Item #2: Student ID

If you have a valid student ID card that still looks enough like you to pass inspection, bring it with you to Madrid. Most historical sites in Spain and elsewhere in Europe, such as museums and castles, offer student discounts that range from a couple euros off to free admission. Always be on the lookout for these discounts and make sure you have your student ID with you when you are going on an excursion in Madrid or traveling somewhere else!  

Item #3: Umbrella

It doesn't rain very often in Madrid, but when it does you'll want to have an umbrella with you. Walking can't be avoided here; you'll have to walk to the grocery store, to public transportation stops, etc. It will be much less unpleasant to walk in the rain if you have an umbrella with you. You can buy a cheap one in Spain and that way it won't take up precious space in your suitcase.

Item #4: Wallet or Coin Purse

Not only do Spaniards still use cash, some places only accept payment in cash. Therefore, you should carry at least a little bit of cash with you at all times. To keep everything straight, I recommend getting either a coin purse or a wallet that has separate compartments for coins, bills and cards. You don't want to be the person at the cash register searching for the correct coins and bills with a long line of people behind you.

Like I said earlier, none of these items are essential, but now you should see how helpful they can be. Take it from me, someone who has been living in Spain for the past six months- these four items (a portable charger, student ID, umbrella and wallet or coin purse) will make your life in Spain a little bit easier. I highly recommend either bringing these items with you to Madrid or purchasing them soon after you arrive.