Information for term K-Pop Immersion
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 13 – Jul 3, 2021 (3 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 11 – 31, 2021 (3 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Go behind the scenes to study this pop culture phenomenon.
What’s it all about? K-pop (short for Korean pop music) covers a range of musical styles, from electronic and dance-pop to hip hop and R&B. The craze is characterized by cutting-edge music videos with striking audiovisual elements, trendsetting fashion, and highly skilled choreography. Creative use of art, graphics, costumes, and color make this an art form well worth studying.
With CIEE staff, you’ll take a special K-pop tour to several trendy sites throughout the city and visit modern and historic sights from music videos, dramas, and other media about Korea. Experience the extreme fan culture first-hand. Attend an Indie concert to experience music beyond K-pop.
You’ll also visit SMTOWN, the K-pop mecca dedicated to the music, technology, fashion, and fandom surrounding SM Entertainment. This five-story complex features a fan cafe, a recording and makeup studio, and a hologram theater with daily digital performances of top artists.
Back in the classroom, guest lecturers on the forefront of the movement such as music producers, songwriters, critics and choreographers round out your daily K-Pop Immersion class curriculum and deepen your experience. The Korean Spirit & Culture Workshop, part of orientation for all students, introduces you to the Korean language, as well as Korean concepts, values and customs, such as learning to bow.
A deeper understanding of the forces driving Korean popular culture
Round out your knowledge of Korean art, history, and culture
A Certificate of Learning in Korean Arts & Culture
Location & CultureClick to Open
A lively center of design, tech, and entertainment.
Seoul has hosted the 1988 Summer Olympics, 2002 FIFA World Cup, and 2010 G-20 Seoul Summit. But its most enduring award is its designation as a UNESCO City of Design. There’s no better place to study art, business, language, and more than in this lively center of design excellence and information technology.
Seoul is a city that embraces both a modern and traditional way of life. You’ll find historic palaces and peaceful Buddhist temples juxtaposed with extreme skyscrapers and neon lit entertainment, 24/7. Seoul is a city that never sleeps!
By studying abroad with CIEE in this city of more than 25 million inhabitants, you’ll explore pop culture in its full context. Along with in-depth tours of digital entertainment studios, you’ll visit museums, galleries, theaters, cultural venues, and historic monuments and sites to learn how the intellectual and cultural foundation was paved for modern Korean society.
Seoul is a food lover’s city, too, so bring your appetite! Did you know that a typical Korean meal comes with seven or eight separate side dishes? And free refills to boot. Favorite foods include dumplings and noodles, bibimbap, and barbeque.
Daily LifeClick to Open
"I love korean food and I am super excited to be able to eat it all day, every day."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts above.
Session 1 will stay in a Hotel and Session 2 will stay in a dorm at Yonsei University.
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a street food tour to navigate all the tasty choices (and learn what to avoid)
- Create kimchi and other authentic Korean specialties in a cooking class
- Get a 360-degree panoramic view of the city from the N Seoul Tower’s digital observatory on Mt. Namsan.
- Embark on an overnight excursion to a smaller town and stay in a typical Korean house, where you’ll learn first-hand about local food, customs, and traditions.
- Learn about K-pop dance moves at a dance studio by K-pop backup dancers
- Picnic alongside the Han River with local students
- Enjoy busking, street performances and indie concerts
- Tour unique and interesting theme cafes (such as animal cafes, VR, flower cafes, etc.)
- Travel to locations featured in Korean dramas, films, and K-pop music videos
- Eat at dining establishments run by K-pop entertainment companies or K-pop artists themselves
- Take part in community service
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
|Summer Session I 2021 3 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 13, 2021||Jul 3, 2021||
|Summer Session II 2021 3 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 11, 2021||Jul 31, 2021||