Young Aerospace Engineers Take Flight to Toulouse

Aerospace Engineering

Rachel Kirk

Pour les gens qui voyagent, les étoiles sont des guides - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

This past Sunday night, our group of excited aspiring engineers arrived to Toulouse to begin to explore the world of aviation, space, and engineering in the south of France. With Toulouse being the primary home of Airbus, the largest manufactuer of airliners in the world, it is a city full of experts, activities, and musems on aerospace engineering with so much information that the students are already very excited to soak up. Upon arriving to their residency for the next three weeks, students began their orientation and to learn how they would connect with the deep culture and history of aerospace in Toulouse. From conversations about the mechanics of various types of planes to their dreams of being professional engineers, the students first conversations with one anoher were rich and full of energy and curiosity for the three weeks to come.

La Mounede, the engineering student residency dorm.

La Mounède, the student residency in Toulouse, France

On Monday morning, they promptly started learning their way around their home for the next three weeks through a walking tour of the city center around the Institut Catholique where their courses will take place. This included a visit to the Basilique de Saint-Sernin which is a beautiful 11th century romanesque basilica, le Couvent des Jacobins where the relics of Thomas Aquinas rest, and a lovely view of the Garonne river that cuts through the city of Toulouse.

Photo for blog post Young Aerospace Engineers Take Flight to Toulouse

La basilique Saint-Sernin

After more orientation sessions and some time to explore for lunch, students spent the afternoon canoeing on the Garonne River, where they were able to experience the tranquil energy of the river amidst the busy city. Within just a few days of being in Toulouse, it is clear that our young engineers are extremely eager and excited to learn about both the deep history and culture of aviation and aeropsace in Toulouse, while also appreciating the tranquil beauty and traditions of southwest France. We are so excited for what is to come and to take flight through the upcoming weeks!