A WONDERful Saturday!

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Flor Peraza

Since the beginning of the second week, everybody was looking forward to this trip, not only because we were going to see one of the new seven wonders of the world, but also because we wanted to swim in a cenote (a natural sinkhole)!

Our trip began early in the morning. On June 26th we left Mérida at 8:00 am and got to Chichén Itzá around 10:20 am. It was a long trip for some of us; some students tried to rest a little and others had interesting conversations in the vans.

When we finally get to the archeological site, we only had to walk a very short distance to be able to see the magnificent “Castillo de Kukulkán”. It was amazing! We took a group photo and then we split up into groups, so we could all have guided tours.

The tours were very interesting; some guides even sang in Mayan for the students! We learned a lot. They told us there is another pyramid inside the main one and the buildings had been painted when the city was in its golden age. When the tour finished, many students went looking for souvenirs for their families, and they learned how to “regatear” (bargain) in Mexico! I was so surprised that they got very good deals.

After shopping, we said “¡Adiós!” to Chichén Itzá and enjoyed a well-deserved lunch buffet meal in a restaurant. The food was delicious!

After eating, we were SO ready for the water! We went to a cenote called “Xcajum”, which in Mayan means “the place of sounds”.  Everybody was so happy and excited; students had a great time and enjoyed the amazing Yucatecan nature.

We can’t wait for our next adventure!