WHERE CULTURE MEETS NATURE - A VISIT TO SEGOVIA

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Parisa Salahshourian

This weekend brought us a very special treat with a trip to the beautiful city of Segovia, a little more than an hour to the Northwest of Madrid. Segovia is one of the most culturally rich cities in Spain, hosting the breathtaking Roman aqueduct, one of the most splendid feats of engineering known to man, as well as one of the most important legacies left in this country by the Romans. The most incredible fact about this aqueduct is that there is absolutely nothing holding its stones together - it is an absolutely spectacular result of balanced forces that has withstood the test of time for 2000 years.

Apart from the aqueduct, we were also able to enjoy the rest of Segovia, with a brief tour including Plaza de Medina del Campo and La Judería, the old Jewish Quarter, which hosted the Sephardic Jewish community in the times of the Catholic Monarchs, Ferdinand and Isabella. The gorgeous streets of the quarter are still rich with the history and culture of the Sephardic community. Our Global Navigators then had some free time to explore some other gems of the city, including the Cathedral and the Alcázar (castle).

To make our trip even more special, we made a stop before we arrived in Segovia and enjoyed some time in nature kayaking in the lake, playing volleyball and having lunch and ice-cream outdoors.

We got back to Madrid tired but absolutely exhilarated after our fantastic day trip!

A few of our Global Navigators wanted to chip in with their views on the trip:

Today we went to Segovia, I was able to see their incredibly stunning and beautiful aqueduct! All the architecture in Segovia was so pretty that I ended up taking like a million photos to show my family. As we headed back to Madrid not only did I see a beautiful landscape but also loads of animals like sheep, bulls and horses :)) Overall the trip was super fun, especially the sightseeing and the kayaks! - Kim

The trip to Segovia was great, I loved kayaking and playing volleyball at the lagoon. The city was also great, but very hilly! - Bruno

Segovia is a small town, but it has a lot of history. From the aqueduct, to the cathedral or the Alcázar, the town is full of stories and views like nowhere else in Spain. - Ethan