Welkom to Amsterdam

Smart Cities & Sustainability

Cierra Summers

Day 1: Arrival Day!

Emotions and anticipation were high when over 40 students and flight chaperones met at EWR Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, New Jersey. Students arrived timid and departed confident of the adventures ahead. The 7-hour flight from EWR to AMS Schipol Airport was filled with laughter, conversation, and snores as the students prepared for arrival day in Amsterdam. 

Once we arrived at EWR, all students were able to collect their checked baggage and had time to mingle with other CIEE Amsterdam participants while waiting for the bus to the hostel. They enjoyed playing card games, making TikToks, and browsing their new go-to store: Albert Heijn. After arriving at the hostel, students could eat lunch and mingle with their new classmates. Then they had a walking tour of their new neighborhood for the next three weeks. They were shown the local Albert Heijn, Etos, and where their classes would be for the remainder of the Smart Cities Sustainability program. Returning from the tour, they went through a welcome presentation and learned about the requirements of being successful in the program. The day was long, so after dinner, the students, without hesitation, unpacked and promptly went to sleep.

Day 2: This is how we do it! (The Dutch Way)

After a restful night, the students enjoyed their first morning in Amsterdam! Some enjoyed breakfast in front of the OosterPark Lake, and others stayed within the hostel. They participated in a Dutch Culture workshop where they learned about the history and cultural norms of the Dutch. Later in the day, we went on a guided walking tour in Dam Square with our new favorite tour guide, Jan! We spotted the National Monument on Dam Square, The Royale Palace, and my favorite, Tony Chocoloney. Everything’s Gezellig!