Welcoming Students to Korea – Local PL Perspective

K-Pop Immersion

Kym Mendez

July 25th, 2022

It is my great pleasure to spend time with high school students on their path of learning about themselves and the world. They come wide-eyed, eager to expand their understanding of the world and ideas of what is possible in their lives.

Seoul summer is hot and humid. The students are also arriving in Jangmachul 장마철, or monsoon season. Thankfully it didn’t rain, so after check-in, we were able to invite the kids to the hotel rooftop have lunch(Kimbab) and take in the view of Seoul, the mountains surrounding the city, landmarks like the Blue House and Namsan Tower. Is it sinking in yet, that they have arrived?

Photo by Isoken

Photo for blog post Welcoming Students to Korea – Local PL Perspective
Caption

Photo by Liberty

In our first community meeting (in air-conditioned space!), we played some games to warm up to one another and sat down for a conversation around community expectation and agreements. I value this process very much, as it gives students a chance to take ownership and accountability for their experience and the space they are creating. The students shared wonderful and at times witty ideas on how to make sure we take care of ourselves, others, and the space we inhabit. (“Keep your room in a state that wouldn’t cause your mom to yell at you.”) The students snapped their fingers at submissions that had particular resonance. One of the was: “Accept that it is a privilege to travel.”

After their first outing into the neighborhood, everyone was exhausted and most fell asleep as soon as they touched the bed after dinner (for some, before dinner). I was proud of how the students were so present for our day full of figuring out logistics such as communication and guidelines. In the morning of the first official full day in Seoul, some students joined me on a short walk to the temple close by (Jogyesa). Jogyesa is well known for the lotus festival in July and August. It is a rare opportunity to see many lotus flowers in the middle of a busy city. The lotus growing from muddy grounds symbolizes purity and transformation. I can’t wait to find out how our time together will transform us.

Photo by Hyo Rhi

By Hyo Rhi Kim