Welcome to Santiago De Los Caballeros!

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Elise Dunn

After journies from all across the world, we made it safe and sound to Santiago!!

Students were greeted at the airport by our wonderfull on-site staff who then took them to their respective homestays. All of the program participants reside in the same neighborhood, though each host family dynamic looks a bit different! As a group, we have been adjusting to cultural differences and enjoying many types of Dominican food in the process! 

Orientation at Rancho Jarabacoa

Our first day on-site was spent at the beautiful Rancho Jarabacoa where students participated in a thorough orientation in the morning session, followed by a rewarding hike to a local waterfall in the afternoon to cool down. 

Photo for blog post Welcome to Santiago De Los Caballeros!

Our second day was spent at our first service location, Ciudad Santa Maria (CISAMA). The students gained a better understanding of the works of CISAMA in the community of La Otra Banda and were able to spend some quality play time with the local kiddies, too!

We spent the afternoon touring around and getting to know our beautiful city of Santiago, learning more about the history and culture of the Dominican Republic. Beyond the historical aspect of this amazing city, we were also able to check out some funky art. 

Here's to an amazing first week ahead, full of service and new friendships!

Abrazos <3