Welcome to the Mercat De L'Olivar!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Dayana Gomez

This week our students got to visit El Mercat De L'Olivar , translated to The Olivar Market, the largest covered market located in the heart of Palma de Mallorca historic centre. It was first constructed in 1951, and it was a hub for local vendors to dispaly their artisanal craftwork, local produce and a space for people to see others and be seen. Today, it is still very much serving the same purpose to locals and tourists alike. Here you can still buy an array of produce, such as meats, fish, fruit and vegetables. Beyond the local products there are food stalls selling traditional tapas and restaurants serving amazing Mediterranean gastronomy. 

Photo for blog post Welcome to the Mercat De L'Olivar!

During our visit to El Mercat De L'Olivar students did a scavanger hunt in which they had to ask local vendors in Spanish questions about: What is popular? What is in season? What is their best selling food? How much things cost.

They also were given 5 euros each and asked to buy something for their homestay that would contribute to that nights dinner. 

This cultural experience was a great way for our students to interact with locals and learn more about the Mallorquin gastronomy.