Weekend Update 1/3: Córdoba, Province of Hills

Tate Sheppard

We're Back!

How was your weekend? We spent ours in Córdoba! A central province of Argentina (their slogan is "Entre Todos" - "Between it all") located at the edge of the Argentina Sierras. Códoba city (pictured above) is about 800km away from Buenos Aires and we traveled by overnight bus to get there (yes, it was much more comfortable than airplanes too!). Get ready for a super triple post about our three jam-packed days. 

Day One: Trekking in the Sierras Chicas

Our original plan was to hike through the national park Quebrada del Condorito, but we got snowed out! Our guides Paula and Gabi told us it is fairly uncommon even during Argentine winters that the National Park would close due to snow. But our group, being wonderfully flexible, adapted quickly and our guides instead took us on a small hike through Cuesta Blanca, a small community located along a winding river and rolling hills (pictured above) located 50km from Códoba city where we stayed. In addition to climbing rocky hills, taking in the views and traveling across sandy beaches along the river, our expert guides taught us about local species of plants and animals and even pointed out multiple condors that curiously circled overhead.

Buenos Aires is a vibrant city always speaking and bubbling with sound. It was powerful to experience the quiet of nature around us for the first time in Argentina.

We also enjoyed lunch along the river before some of the group took a steeper hike with Gabi up the Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross) in the city of Carlos Paz. At the top we enjoyed the sunshine and even sang together with a group of Argentines before heading back down.

Finally, after heading back to our hotel, students celebrated National Friendship Day (a widely celebrated holiday in Argentina) by exchanging gifts with their Amigo Invisible (a "Secret Santa" style gift exchange) and we wrapped up the night by celebrating a double birthday! Aidan turned 16 on Friday and Ethan turned 17 on Saturday!