A Weekend in Jeonju!

K-Pop Immersion

Kym Mendez

This weekend the Seoul navigators got to explore life outside of Seoul. We hopped on a charter bus for a 3 and a half hour ride to Jeonju, a city with a population of just 650,000 located in North Jeolla Province. Once the capital of Baekje during the three kingdoms period, it was also considered a site of cultural importance because the Yi royal family of the Joseon Dynasty originated there.

Photo for blog post A Weekend in Jeonju!

Upon our arrival we were immersed in traditional Korean culture. Our first stop for lunch was a meal that Jeonju is well known for - Jeonju Bibimbap (mixed rice) complete with plenty of side dishes. Then we headed to the Jeonju Cultural Center were we got to learn a traditional lion mask dance!

We also participated in a traditional Korean wedding ceremony, learning about the significance of the clothing, food items, and decorations that are employed during the ceremony.

Lastly, we made our own jewelry boxes made from traditional Korean paper, Hanji, using the authentic methods that have been passed down for generations. After dinner, we had some free time to explore Jeonju Hanok Village, where we were based for the weekend. 

Quite tuckered out from our adventures and the long bus ride from Seoul, we checked into our accommodations for the night: traditional Hanok houses raised above the ground where there are no western style beds - only pallets for sleeping on the floor! 

After a good night’s sleep, we arose to the crowing of a rooster and started another day in Jeonju. This time, we got to learn and play the Janggu - a Korean instrument used in traditional folk music called Samul-nori. 

Before leaving, we stopped by a traditional confucian school, where the drama Sungkyunkwan Scandal was filmed! We tried out Korean archery as well.

We feasted like kings before leaving Jeonju. We were treated to baekban (which literally means 100 side dishes) with unlimited refills of our favorites like Kimchi pancakes, bulgogi, seaweed, and sweet potato noodles. Full and happy, we boarded the bus back to Seoul after an adventurous weekend.