A Weekend In Botswana

Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

Marisa Deku

There are many ways to enjoy a weekend here in Botswana. This past weekend the students got a taste of it all. It started off with a Friday field trip to a local high school where they could meet and spend time with Botswana peers just like them. We visited some classrooms then set them free with some students to be able to connect and be shown the school through the eyes of the students themselves.  After school we came back to Mokolodi and prepared ourselves for a night camping in the bush.  The temperatures may have been low but the well maintained fire kept us warm, allowing for a night full of storytelling. We had a special guest, Mr. Dennis, who came out to do some stargazing and educate us on the constellations of the southern hemisphere. He explained how Botswana people have used the stars throughout history. Not only are they used to find the way in the bush, but also indicate the coming rains which determine when to hunt and plant crops. The Southern Cross is one of the main constellations that helps determine direction and is the base to find the other constellations.  Another surprise visitor showed up to enjoy some crumbs; a genet.

Upon return from camping the students went straight to the kitchen learning how to cook a Botswana meal.  They learned how to make homemade bread on the stove top and ground fresh pepper with rocks, which turned into a tasteful lunch!  After working hard in the kitchen we went to the movies, a common choice of Botswana youth on the weekends.  Sunday was a day of relaxing with plenty of time to hand wash their clothes. Parents you should be proud, not only did they wash by hand, but they had fun doing it. We finished off the weekend with a reflection of the first week. They have quickly discovered the value of leaving their comfort zones, reflecting alot on personal growth.