Weekend adventures in Jarabacoa

Carrie Haugh

Hola a todos! We had an amazing, fun filled weekend excursion to the central mountains of the country. Jarabacoa, or as locals call it "The City of the Everlasting Spring", is a beautiful, idealic escape from Santo Domingo. At an elevation of 500 meters above sea level, we were truly transported to the serene natural landscape. After touring the Monte Alto Coffee Factory (and sampling the fruits of their labor) we found our way to where we were staying, meandering up mountainous roads.  The Jarabacoa River Club Resort-with several pools, a suspension bridge above the river, and lots of delicious food and we even found a stage! Karaoke & dancing ensued! 

We had an outdoor screening of the film In The Time of The Butterflies, about the Dominican revolutionary activits the Mirabal Sisters. We had learned about them earlier and even saw the monument dedicated to them in Santo Domingo along the Malecón. On Saturday, after a relaxed Friday evening of swimming, singing, and dancing, we set out to go rafting on the Yaque del Norte river ( the longest river in the Dominican Republic). We spent the afternoon floating down the river. It was so much fun and everyone participated. It was so refreshing...and even frightening at certain spots. But in true leadership style-everyone helped each other and worked hard. We got to eat our breakfast and lunches at the Jarabacoa Ranch-where there was also down time to lay on the hammocks, play pool, fusbol, ping pong, and dominoes. 

Sunday was all about relaxing after a day of rafting. We walked into a nature preserve and swam at the base of the cascading Salto Baiguate waterfall. It was a great weekend of bonding and relaxing from our service. We are back home now in Santo Domingo and ready to join the children of Cristo Rey tomorrow. Hard to believe that we are in our final week of service! Every day these students amaze us, make us laugh, and teach us about ourselves as well. 

"My time in Jarabacoa was filled with adventure, relaxation, new experiences, and many intense games of dominoes. Rafting was definitely my favorite thing that we did this weekend. I’d never rafted on such strong water before but it was super fun (and quite a workout)! At various points we got to get out of the raft and swim in the river, a nice break in between paddling. Spending time at the ranch was another highlight. We’ve been pretty busy doing amazing things these past two weeks, and although I missed the kids at NICHIBOSCO, I was grateful for the opportunity to sit back and relax. I’m now feeling rejuvenated and ready for the week ahead"! -Aliza Kopans