Weekend ADVENTURES!

Climate Change Mitigation

Lynne Burns

After a week of classroom work we were able to take what we learned and apply it while having fun!  On Saturday we visited the El Tigre Waterfall.  The waterfall is about 40 minutes away by bus.  Here participants experienced extreme hiking, amazing waterfalls, and hanging bridges.  The wildlife was extrordinary.  Participants observed snakes, lizards, and birds.  The area is also known for Pumas, but thankfully no one ever saw one.  After lots of hiking and beautiful waterfalls the students eventually jumped in.  The very cool water was much enjoyed after the long hike.  Swimming in the streams from the falls rejuvenated everyone to complete the hike!  At the end of the hike, the participants enjoyed horseback riding back to the El Tigre Waterfall Center.  Several participants had never ridden a horse and learned quickly that each horse had their own personality.  Some of them were fast, wanting to get back to the center quickly, while some were slow and took their time to get to the top! 

After a full day of adventure, participants returned to CIEE Monteverde for dinner and Kareoke. They had so much fun singing, rapping, and enjoying their time together.  This was a time of bonding and a time where students felt comfortable letting loose and expressing their individuality. 

On Sunday participants boarded the busses again for another 40 minute ride to enjoy some Ziplining.  Participants were equipped with their gear, helmets and gloves to soar above the canopy and see the clouds.  Some students overcame fears and others embraced the adventure with excitement.  Everybody had fun, and many found it a freeing expierence.  Participants debriefed in the evening and realized how much they truly appreciate places like the ziplining company for provide the experience by sharing their beautiful country for our viewing.