Weekend Adventure to Isla Saona and Santo Domingo

Jessica Meza

Saludos! We've been staying busy here en la capital. After a packed first week of service and afternoon classes, we had a full day excursion to Isla Saona on Saturday. Isla Saona is a stunning island off the southeastern tip of the Dominican Republic. When we arrived to Bayahibe, the tourist town that sends boats to Isla Saona, we enjoyed breakfast on the speedboat before taking off. On the way to the isla, we made a stop at La Piscina, an area that is referred to as The Pool because of the color and clarity of the water. Fun fact: it's so salty that it's easy to float on your back--even if you normally sink! Once we spent some time swimming it the calm, shallow waters, we continued in our speed boat to Isla Saona. Our group spent the afternoon swimming, playing volleyball, and dancing on this beautiful island. We were sad to leave!

Sunday was a day to relax, spend time with our host families, and explore Santo Domingo. Students enjoyed meals with their host families, some students went shopping down the pedestrian street in the Zona Colonial, and others discovered tasty reastaurants in the area. In the evening, Carrie and I took a group of students to Bonye, an outdoor concert and dancing event that happens every Sunday evening (unless it's raining!) at the Ruinas de San Fransisco in the Zona Colonial. Our students practiced the dance moves they learned in dance class and did a fabulous job! We are continually impressed by this enthusiastic and inspiring group of young people.

Flip through the gallery to see photos, and check out these amazing dancers below!