Off to the village we go

Kaitlyn Shepard

Kaitlyn Shepard

Weekends are for excursions, so on Saturday we loaded up the car and were off to Kilolo to spend the weekend in a rural village. Less than an hours drive from Iringa and we were surrounded by fresh mountain air, the smell of firewood and greetings from our hosts, the Rural Development Organization (RDO). RDO is running multiple programs in the area which provide water, vocational training education as well as support for orphans living in the village. 

We also managed to squeeze in a visit to the local clinic, where the students got a tour of the laboratory and learned about the most common illnesses and their treatment plans in Tanzania and more specifically, Iringa region. The weekend got even more interesting on our visit to a traditional healer where we learned about his natural medicines made of the local plants and trees found in the nearby forest. Believe it or not, we still managed to find time to catch a bit of the Argentina World Cup match playing on the TV in the village, roast corn over a wood-fire oven, and learn some new card games.  

Enjoy some of my favorite photos from the weekend below: 

Learning about the traditional healers natural medicines

Helping to prepare wood fire roasted corn which was gifted to us by a community member:

A visit to RDO’s water tank site which is giving community members access to clean water from nearby mountains:

A walk through the village isn’t complete without meeting a few curious kids and goat herds: