¡Vamos a la Playa!

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Jenna Lanzaro

Our Marine Biologists finally got into the water today! We had an absolute blast swimming, playing beach volleyball, paddle-boarding, and valiantly avoiding sunburn (kudos to Henry for re-applying 9 times)! In the afternoon, we took a short hike along this breathtaking vista:

Photo for blog post ¡Vamos a la Playa!

The color of the sea was positively unbelievable. Even though we were excited to get in the water to snorkel, we couldn't stop pausing for photos. In fact, this magical landscape gifted us our first full group picture!

Photo for blog post ¡Vamos a la Playa!

When we reached the water, our Marine Biology expert, Bea, guided us towards a lovely cove. Students asked why some of the shapes in the rocks looked man-made, and we learned that the limestone for the gorgeous cathedral in the city of Palma had been hewn from this location! Then, it was time to dive in.

Photo for blog post ¡Vamos a la Playa!

Once in the water, students spotted baby sea urchins, sea sponges, tons of fish...and yes, a few jellyfish, too. After getting accostomed to the use of our snorkel gear, we hopped out of the water to head back to campus. Us Program Leaders noticed that a lot of students had handfuls of plastic and debris they'd collected from the water. I asked Bea if she'd instructed them to clean up. She said no. It made my heart so happy to see so many of our kids taking the initiative to better our ocean home!

We're signing off this evening very happy, very sleepy, and very ready to get in the water again!

Buenas noches!