An Unusual Classroom

Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

Devin S.

Dumela! 

Our Global Navigators have been learning tons recently! We’ve had several lessons so far ranging from the tourism industry to ecosystems to the history of Botswana’s conservation efforts. Navigators gained more hands-on experience as they explored Mokolodi during a nature walk. We were all rewarded with an amazing view after we trekked to the top of a hill (that felt more like a mountain while we were climbing it). From the top, we could see most of Mokolodi and all its beauty. During our exploration, we learned about Mokolodi’s conservation efforts and their assistance in land rehabilitation. For example, brush packing is a method of land rehabilitation, where overgrown foliage is cut and then dispersed on top of bare ground. This helps grass and new foliage to grow. 

Additionally, Mokolodi assists in animal conservation. We headed over to the Reptile Park to learn more. One, of many, species that Mokolodi helps are vultures. They take care of both white-backed and cape vultures, an endangered species. Mokolodi takes in hurt and injured animals, nurses them back to health, and releases them. However, some animals are permanent residents of the park, like some of the vultures, and they are used to help educate the public. 

But it doesn’t end there! Navigators had a game day, learning traditional games like koi (jump rope), suna baby (dodgeball), mhele, and dibeke. Keeping with the theme of conservation, a key point of these games was the materials used. Children would typically use recycled material to make the balls we played with, and use bottle caps and small rocks as the pieces to board games. Lastly, the Navigators had their first Setswana lesson. Setswana is the national language of Botswana. Some basic vocab is dumela (hello), maa/raa (ma'am, sir), go siame (goodbye/go well), and ke itumetse (I am happy).

As I said…they’ve learned a lot. Over the coming weeks, the Navigators are set to learn so much more. Stay tuned for more updates!